Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"For Women Who Are Difficult To Love"


Warsan Shire - "For Women Who Are Difficult To Love" from MovingOn & StereoOpticon on Vimeo.


This beautiful piece of art, written by Warsan Shire, speaks to me. She so eloquently expresses how it is to be in this type of relationship. Even though this particular piece isn't completely relevant to my experience, I think we can imagine that the relationship she speaks of can be tailored to suit whomever the "man" may represent in our own lives.

"you are unbearable
every woman before or after you
is doused in your name
you fill his mouth
his teeth ache with memory of taste
his body just a long shadow seeking yours
but you are always too intense
frightening in the way you want him
unashamed and sacrificial"

See, I think every woman can relate to this, not because women are hard to love, but because we crave love so much and we want to love, sometimes to our own detriment. But that is the gift and the curse we are made with, I suppose. Another chunk that I liked was -

"you can’t make homes out of human beings
someone should have already told you that
and if he wants to leave
then let him leave
you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love."


I looked up this young poet after reading an excerpt of her work on a friend's Instagram page and immediately I was hooked. Her body of work is amazing and I hope to get my hands on her book soon.

I hope that anybody who reads this and takes a look at the video also enjoys it.