Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Getting Uncomfortable

 I was watching the new episode of HBO's "Girls" and it got me thinking. I really love this show, it's light enough to consider almost frivolous but somehow adequately describes how I feel as a 23 year old. The lives of these girls are somewhat synonymous to my life and my interactions with friends. I'm yet to move out of my parents house but, like Marnie I too face the "new grad" monster of not finding a job in your intended field and I stepped away from a relationship with someone I thought wasn't progressing enough (it would suck for me if he turned out to own his own company a year from now lol). I identify with the perfectionist and newly sexual traits of Shosh, and the insecurities of Hannah.

But let's take a good look behind the scenes. While Lena Dunham, the director and main actor, is portraying this quirky girl and telling us about her tribulations, Lena herself, isn't doing too bad.

She's only 27!

Lena has a show on HBO and she's a bloody filmmaker! Makes me wonder, why am I not great yet? I wish I could figure this out. What am I not doing, not focusing on or completely overlooking?

I decided this year the year of less complaints and more solutions, so I won't dwell on how mediocre I feel, and I guess I'll try to change that feeling by doing something progressive and positive.

(Clearly I like to give myself pep talks lol)

So, I'm going to challenge myself to put ME out there and take some professional risks. I'm sure Lena did because I know I'd be super nervous to pitch a show to HBO. So, every week I will do something out of the box, I will make an effort to do something great.

I'm going to do something that might completely alter any random reader's perception of me and quote someone on "Keeping up with the Kardashians."

The the ability to grow is directly related to the amount of insecurity you can take in life. Step out and do things you're not secure with - Bruce Jenner 
Best thing he ever said!


*                                                 *                                            *                                        *

Habakkuk 2:2-3 ESV 


And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it. For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.